’tis the season to be baking! Ma’amoul are melt in your mouth, date filled cookies that are low in sugar but robust in flavour. If you’re looking for something different to bake this Christmas then I promise you’ll love these!
From my family to yours, I hope you enjoy this recipe!
1/2 cup vegetable oil
300g unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 sachet dry yeast
1/2 cup full cream milk
500g minced dates
2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Icing sugar to serve
1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients together and allow to rest for 24-48 hours. Cover using glad wrap and allow to stand at room temperature until the mixture has proved.
2. Using your hands, mix in the milk and yeast after the mixture is ready to use.
3. Knead the dough for 5 minutes.
4. Divide the mixture an roll into golf ball sizes.
5. In a bowl, place the minced dates, with the vegetable oil and cinnamon together and mix to combine.
6. Roll out the dates into thin stripes approximately 12cm long.
7. Flatten the dough lengthwise and place the rolled date in the center of the dough. Roll the dough over the date and pull the edges together to create a circular shape.
8. Place onto oven trays in a per-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20mins or until golden brown.
9. Once cooled, dust with icing sugar to serve.